As people became more conscious about their looks, the dental industry geared up to present revolutionary dental braces that make smile correction or teeth straightening process everyone’s cup of tea. Here are answers to most asked questions about the latest smile correction treatment, the clear aligners.
What is clear aligner treatment?
A dentist or orthodontist suggests clear aligner treatment when the patient is suffering from any dental condition such as:
- Crooked teeth
- Gaps between the teeth
- Open bite
- Crowded teeth
These dental issues can be corrected through clear dental aligners. Dental aligners are custom invisible trays that help in the movement of teeth and bring them in alignment by applying slow yet sustained pressure on the teeth.
Why choose only clear aligners?
Clear aligners are the latest teeth straightening devices. Doctors often suggest them instead of the traditional metal or ceramic braces as they come with the following advantages:
- Clear aligners are invisible.
- They are removable.
- The treatment through clear aligners is painless.
- They are custom-designed for each patient and therefore the aligners trays are snap-fit for the patient it is designed for.
- There are no food or beverage restrictions with clear aligners.
- The treatment duration is shorter than the treatment with the traditional braces.
Companies Offering Clear Aligners in India
There are many Indian as well as foreign companies that provide clear aligner treatment. Some of the companies offer ‘doorstep’ services for clear aligner treatment as they work on the ‘direct to customer’ model while other companies offer ‘ doctor-directed ‘ treatment where only a certified and trained doctor can carry out the aligner treatment process.
- Invisalign: It is a foreign company that has been providing its aligner services in India for many years now. The company offers authentic aligner treatment and is a market leader in the aligner industry. Invisalign offers ‘doctor-directed’ aligner treatment which indicates that only an Invisalign certified doctor can carry out the Invisalign aligner treatment. Moreover, the company involves certified doctors right from the beginning of the treatment which ensures that the treatment is heading in the right direction. The treating doctor is answerable to any patient queries related to the treatment.
- 32 watts: This Delhi based clear Aligner Company too is known for its clear aligners made through precise German technology. The company works on a ‘doctor-directed’ treatment model. It has experienced orthodontists with a minimum of 5 years of experience in its treatment planning team. The company assigns the patient’s dental case to partner clinics from where the expert orthodontist takes over the treatment procedure. Also when a request for an aligner treatment is made for any patient by the registered doctors, the company arranges for a 3D intra-oral scanning for the patient at the doctor’s clinic. The company has its own manufacturing facility which makes them the most affordable and effective clear aligners in India.
- Toothsi: This Indian origin company offers ‘direct to home’ teeth straightening services. It handles the patient queries and treatment procedures largely through teledentistry. Once the patient approaches the company, they will either send the technicians at home for the oral scan or ask you to take an impression by yourself through their ‘DIY Impression’ kit. The company promises easy and comfortable teeth straightening at the comfort of your home and without frequent doctor visits.
- Snazzy: Snazzy is also an Indian aligner company that also works directly with patients. The company also handles queries and provide consultation mostly through teledentistry. Snazzy focuses on youngsters as their prime target audience who wants quick, comfortable and affordable smile correction treatment from the comforts of their home.
Why should one avoid ‘at Home’ Aligner services?
As comfortable, quick and easy the ‘at home’ aligner treatments may sound, it is a risky proposition too. Here are the reasons that will make you think twice before you take up any ‘at home’ clear aligner service in India:
- The patients must understand that teeth straightening treatment is a medical procedure, aligners are only a device to aid teeth alignment, but the entire process must involve guidance and supervision by an expert doctor.
- Most of the companies that offer ‘at home’ aligner services do not own a manufacturing facility, they outsource planning and manufacturing and therefore, there can be discrepancies in aligners ordered and the aligners delivered.
- The companies that work on the ‘direct to patient’ model skip doctor involvement to reduce the treatment cost but doing this can call for treatment lapse and irreparable loss for the patient.
- Most of the time the technicians sent at home for oral scans are not trained properly. If the oral scan is not done accurately the whole treatment goes for a toss from the beginning itself.
- In medical treatment, a doctor’s consultation is of utmost importance but many companies that offer at-home aligner treatment do not assign a doctor to the patient for the entire duration of the treatment. Clear aligners on average is a 10 to 12 months long treatment that requires constant supervision by an experienced orthodontist The patient is left to consult with any doctor that is available at the time of query or during the treatment.
Recently, there were many cases reported from all over India that complained about the unprofessional and unethical behaviour of the companies who promised teeth straightening services at home. The customer’s complained that once the money was deposited, the companies would fail to carry forward the treatment properly. They would not pick up calls to answer any queries related to the treatment or their aligner sets were not delivered on time. Few even complained that the treatment procedure was left midway. Some complained of swollen gums due to unfit aligners. Therefore, seeking teeth straightening services from trained orthodontists and credible companies like Invisalign, 32 Watts, etc should be considered for best results instead of falling for cheap, comfortable and easy ‘at home’ aligner services.